Dr. Makani Elizabeth Lew, B.S., D.C. Curriculum Vitae
Address: P.O. Box 1633, Soquel, CA 95073
Phone: (831) 689-9453
Family Webpage: http://www.freetobehappy.com/
Italian Marble Tile Coasters and Trivets: http://www.freetobehappy.com/tiles/index.htm
Joy-Based Wellness Webpage: http://www.freetobehappy.com/joy.htm
Date of last update to Curriculum Vitae: January 26, 2006
Curriculum Vitae Index:EducationEDUCATION
Personal Activities and Interests
CERTIFIED CHIROPRACTIC SPORTS YEARS ATTENDED (2000-2001)
Palmer College of Chiropractic-West San Jose, CA
Completed a one-year training program.
DOCTOR OF CHIROPRACTIC (D.C.) YEARS ATTENDED (1988-1991)
Palmer College of Chiropractic-West Sunnyvale, CA
Graduated magna cum laude.
Received the Palmer College of Chiropractic-West Clinic Achievement Award.
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE- BIOLOLGY (B.S.) YEARS ATTENDED (1982-1986)
Earlham College Richmond, IN
Graduated cum laude with a minor in French and Spanish.
HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA YEARS ATTENDED (1979-1982)
Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School Bethesda, MD
CHIROPRACTOR (PRIVATE PRACTICE) YEARS EMPLOYED (1991-PRESENT)
Dr. Makani Lew, D.C. Practice location: Aptos, CA
Personalized Health and Wellness Center Mailing address: P.O. Box 1633, Soquel, CA 95073
Dr. Lew, D.C. provides a specialized chiropractic practice that supports people taking command of their own health.
She uses an integrative approach that incorporates:
CCEP extremity adjusting techniques
Mark Charrette Extremity Adjusting Technique
Myofascial Release Technique (MRT)Physical therapy modalities
Proprioceptive neuromuscular fascilitation (PNF)
InterferentialRehabilitative stretch and exercise programs
Evaluation of proprioceptive (balance) abilitiesPersonalized stretch programs
Evaluation of posture and gait
Personalized and incremental exercise programs
Yoga stretches (asanas)Nutritional evaluation and consultation
Injury prevention stretches
Whole body nutritional evaluationErgonomic evaluation and correction
Nutriceutical and Glycobiological nutritional screening
Diet and food mind-set modification
Activities of daily living in the homeLifestyle modification
Work activities and work stations
Evaluation and modification of stressful stimuli
Gentle parenting support
Wellness consciousness support
Power of positive thinking coaching
INSTRUCTOR/ FACULTY MEMBER YEARS EMPLOYED (2000-PRESENT)
Palmer College of Chiropractic-West San Jose, CATEACHER/ SEMINAR COACH YEARS EMPLOYED (1991-PRESENT)
- Spinal Anatomy and Palpation Class
- Principles of Chiropractic Analysis- Biomechanical Approach
- Thoracic Adjusting Class
- Thoracic Technique and Management Class
- Adjusting Practice- Open Forum
- Rehabilitative Procedures
Santa Cruz, CA
- A MacGyver Approach to Chiropractic Adjusting
- Students and chiropractors are encouraged to tap into their own ingenuity and creativity to modify their adjustments and diagnostic techniques to match the needs of various patient types.
- Nutrition in the Home for a Stronger Immune System
- Presents on how to use nutritional supplements to improve health.
- Using Nutriceuticals in a Nutritional Practice
- Provides a one-day seminar in the use of nutriceuticals and how to educate the patient in the concepts of nutriceuticals.
- Prosperity for Life
- Using The Abundance Book as a guide, provides a one-day seminar in the concepts of attraction for abundance and prosperity.
- Photo Albums with Style and Story- saving your photos to last generations
- Classes on photo-preservation and safe methods of photo display
- Classes on layout of photographs in albums or framed presentations
- Classes on journaling- writing down the story for your family to enjoy forever.
NUTRITIONAL CONSULTANT YEARS EMPLOYED (1994-PRESENT)
AND RESEARCHER Santa Cruz, CA
- Mannatech Nutritional Products Support
- Provides professional support to Mannatech associates about the use of nutriceutical products and the science of glycobiology.
PROOF-READER, COPY AND CONTENT REVIEWER YEARS EMPLOYED (2005-PRESENT)
- Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins
- Review related health field textbooks for content and copy and provide feedback to the publisher and author
ARTISAN OF HANDCRAFTED ITALIAN TUMBLED MARBLE TILE COASTER AND TRIVET SETS
YEARS EMPLOYED (2003-PRESENT) Santa Cruz, CAHand-crafted gift items made on Botticino marble tiles:
Available in 4x4 or 6x6 inch tile sizes.
Several styles available:
-Tuscan style fruit hand-stamped on marble tiles.
-Celestial Design with an Ischian Sun surrounded by stars and swirls.
-Scattered black and green leaves.
CREATIVE MEMORIES CONSULTANT AND SCRAPBOOK CLASS TEACHER
YEARS EMPLOYED (2003-2005) Santa Cruz, CA
Home-based business owner and start-up business coach Retail outlet for Creative Memories products through personal sales Creative Memories and Scrap-booking Home Classes, Clubs and Workshops
WEB PAGE DESIGNER AND WEBMASTER YEARS EMPLOYED (1994-PRESENT)
Santa Cruz, CA
- Makani Lew Joy-Based Wellness Site (2002-present)
- The Mediation Institute (TMI) (2000-2002)
- Make an Educated Choice Vaccine Resource List (1995-2002)
- Tierra Pacifica Charter School (2000-2003)
CHIROPRACTIC AND REHABILITATION YEARS EMPLOYED (1991-1993)
CBL Medical Clinics Northview Medical Clinic, Campbell, CA
Salinas Medical Clinic, Salinas, CA[Go Back]
- Chiropractor and Therapy Ward Director- split schedule between the two clinics
- Maintained a 100-200 patient load per week.
- Acted as director of the therapy department that consisted of 3-5 employees per clinic.
- Worked in conjunction with a group of orthopedists and physiatrists in the care of worker’s compensation and personal injury patients.
- Worked with patients who had been through extensive medical and chiropractic care, yet had not achieved a pain-free status nor a disability rating of permanent and stationary.
- Back School Instructor
- Provided a 4-part (4 hour) program in spinal education including home and work ergonomic modification.
PUBLICATIONSLew, M. “Patient Compliance as Homework”[Go Back]
Journal of the American Chiropractic Association 2001; February
Lew, M. “Shoulder Impingement in an X-Ray Technician”
Journal of the American Chiropractic Association 2001; May
Lew, M. "The Elusive (and Painful) First Rib"
Journal of the American Chiropractic Association 2005, July
COMMUNITY ACTIVITIESTIERRA PACIFICA CHARTER SCHOOL YEARS INVOLVED (1999-PRESENT)[Go Back]
KidScrap! Scrapbooking Elective Class
Newsletter Director, Editor, Reporter Santa Cruz, CA
Science in the First Grade Weekly Program
SOQUEL NURSERY SCHOOL YEARS INVOLVED (1997-1999)
Newsletter Contributor Soquel, CA
By-Laws and Handbook Revision Director
SANTA CRUZ PARKS AND RECREATION YEARS INVOLVED (2004)
Taught a beginning scrap-book class Santa Cruz, CA
to the Santa Cruz community
- Highly motivated
- An independent thinker
- Organized and methodical
- Uses experiential teaching approaches
- Innovative in finding solutions to problems
- Supportive of client’s personal needs
PERSONAL ACTIVITIES AND INTERESTS[Go Back]
Hiking, bicycling, running, Tae Bo, enjoying nature, racquetball, water sports, and dancing.
Reading fiction and positive empowerment subjects.
Writing stories, poetry, motivational works, and book reviews.
Going to Music Festivals, Traveling in Europe, Going to Abraham Seminars.
Being with my loving and supportive husband, Rory.
Spending time exploring the wonders of life from my son’s perspective.
Gathering old photos and saving the memories and good times in archival quality photo albums.
Creating more marble tile designs and projects.
My mission is to live every aspect of my life in a joyful manner
while sharing this joy with others.